Corona virus is a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several corona viruses are known to cause respiratory infections and the most recently disease is COVID-19 which is the pandemic disease as described by WHO causes by these Corona virus.
COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
Corona virus as it is seen has affected the Globe in various way such as the fast growing numbers of death toll even to super power countries such as USA ,Italy and Spain but Corona virus has also affected the lifestyle of people all over the world where by people are to stay inside to avoid much spread of this novel COVID-19 .Due to this isolation initiative most countries have imposed lockdowns to restrict movement of people and reduce the spread of this corona virus such as, India which is the second most populated country in the world but managed to impose the longest lockdown to the entire country of nearly 2months.
RURAL AREAS MORE SAFE compares to urban from Corona
Before we discuss much on the safety of the rural areas from corona virus we must have little idea on how the virus is spreading as per article given by the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION(WHO)
- The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales.
- These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth.
- People can also catch c-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales the droplets.
So as we can see from the ways in which corona virus gets spread it can show obviously that the rural areas are more safe from corona virus as compared to Urban areas .There are various points to support this in various perspectives as to why urban areas are not safe as compared to rural area from Corona virus.
- Starting with the population. Its well-known that urban areas are mostly crowded with so many people. As we have seen above, that Corona virus gets easily spread by contact with droplets of someone who is already infected. This means where there is a big population of people there is a higher chance for fast spread of Corona virus. This is because people come into contact more easily and unknowingly someone can get Corona or can spread it to others unawares.
- Also the reason for Rural areas being safer than Urban areas is that there is greater chance of experiencing natural social distance as compared to urban areas which are crowded. This can be proven mainly on imposition of Lockdown or curfew. Its more useful and practically possible in rural areas where the people can be easily controlled in their neighborhoods to stay inside as compared in the big cities where many people are not ready to adhere to the curfew and lockdowns thus making it difficult to stop spread of Corona virus.
- In addition to that, the rural areas have a greater chance to avoid imported corona cases i.e the cases of Corona patients from outside the country. This is simply because all the airports and ports are located in urban areas and these are the sites which are more vulnerable to Corona, since people with Corona from other countries enter the country through these areas. So, the first area of contact will be in urban areas making it a hotspot for further spread of the virus.
- Economic activities are also another factor that may cause insecurity of people from corona virus. Many people in urban areas are so much obsessed with business and other economic activities in such a way that they cannot take any precautions towards protecting themselves from Corona virus. However, in rural areas people can easily understand and adhere to precautions such as wearing nose mask, using sanitizers to clean hands every time or washing hands with soap using running water from the tap.
- In addition to that, the capacity and readiness to get medical treatment in Urban areas may not be fast or adequate due to the number of patients as seen in some of the big cities such as New York,USA , Rome in Italy and Madrid in Spain where due to large number of people, the hospitals are overcrowded with COVID-19 patients and this poses a danger of getting the diseases to health workers while doing their work in those health centers. This cannot be a big problem in rural areas where the number of Corona patients is low so there is a smaller chance for the hospitals to be crowded which make them safer .
Despite of all these points which show that rural areas are safe as compared to urban areas from Corona virus, this does not make them more secure from the spread of Corona. This means that even in rural areas, if strong precautions are not taken in a greater way, this may lead a devastating situation of the super outbreak of Corona virus which may be even more deadly as compared to the corona virus situation in Urban areas .
This is because according to the survey in various countries, the hospitals in rural areas do not have enough facilities to fight against Corona virus such as ventilators and protective gears specifically. There are also no isolation centers in most of the hospitals in rural areas which is compulsory, since Corona patients cannot be mixed with the normal patients.
Due to these reasons, if rural areas are no longer safe from corona virus, it may be a more deadly scenario because many people may die due to low knowledge about the disease itself (illiteracy). Also, concerning the aspect of poor medical facilities in rural areas, they may be forced to refer the patients to the hospitals in urban areas and as a result the situation will be even worse in both rural and urban areas.
The Corona virus as said already is a pandemic diseases, so it’s the responsibility of each individual whether in rural or urban areas to take precautions as given by the WHO to avoid its spread. This can be done mainly through practicing social distancing, which helps to reduce the contact among people and taking extra care concerning sanitation and reporting all potential cases of people with the Corona virus symptoms so that they may get isolated and treated ASAP.
Saurabh SharmaMay 11, 2020 at 4:16 am
ChrispinMay 11, 2020 at 5:05 am
Such a thought report.,great job brother.
Keep working hard towards enrich your articles with more details and attach your references where necessary.
Good job,I’m proud of you✊
Raymond pangaMay 11, 2020 at 5:26 am
Nice work bro ✊
Joseph BenithoMay 11, 2020 at 5:41 am
Nice article with well sastificatort explanations
JUDITHMay 11, 2020 at 5:56 am
I fully support the conclusion that most countries have come up with that is the emplementation of lockdowns, as its the most effecient method to slow down/prevent the spread of COVID-19 and also give us time to get an accurate medical treatment against it…..
Salvatore mwajaMay 11, 2020 at 6:05 am
It’s true but now days we’ve seen many people from big cities where Corona viruses has affected many people migrating to rural areas wat bout it. …. I think no one is safe!
Gwen SeniorMay 11, 2020 at 6:17 am
I live in rural area…yay!
RismyMay 11, 2020 at 6:30 am